Saturday, May 30, 2009

Wings, by Aprilynne Pike

I ended up reading Wings, by Aprilynne Pike, after all. What can I say? I adore the cover.


"Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful--too beautiful for words.
 Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings."

The book follows a teen named Laurel, as she comes to find out that her average life isn't so average. When she wakes up one morning to find that she's sprouted an interesting and non-human item from her back, she begins an adventure that defies all she formerly knew to be true about her life. Add her new best friend David,who wishes he were more than just a friend, plus the mysterious and handsome Tamani, from Laurel's childhood, and you've got the perfect setup for a great book.

To be straight, I liked the book a lot. It was humorous, sweet, imaginative, and so far-stretched that it was believable. My favorite thing about the book is that when I finished reading it, I really wanted everything in it to be true. I wanted to wake up one morning with a "pimple" on my back and watch it grow into something spectacular. Aprilynne Pike's world of fairies is so very different from all others...but it works!

Although the story was great, I must say that the book is good, not amazing. There were parts where I felt as if time had skipped forward, or where it seemd as if a chunk of the book was missing. The book longed for those missing pages.

But, I would still recommend the book to those who love magical things, and anyone who wants to be taken on a different and new adventure. The story is so enchanting, even with the "time skips," that I look forward to reading the next one.

1 comment: